Writing to a SQL database

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by kb, Sep 15, 2003.

1. kb

kb Guest

Currently I have an project that writes data to an Access database. I would like to change this to write to a SQL database, but the documentation is less than stellar.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?Below is the code I'm using to connnect to the access database

Dim dbConn As New ADODB.Connection
        Dim dbRst As New ADODB.Recordset
        dbConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=D:\Data\Projects\DBMS\test.mdb"

kb, Sep 15, 2003
  2. kb

Norman Yuan Guest

If you use Wndows integrated security,

dbConn.ConnectionString="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=DatabaseName;Data Source=DataBaseServerName"

if you use SQL Server user login,

dbConn.ConnectionString="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=DatabaseName;Data Source=DataBaseServerName;UID=UserLoginName;PWD=UserLoginPassword"

"kb" <-prairie.ab.ca> wrote in message news:...

Currently I have an project that writes data to an Access database. I would like to change this to write to a SQL database, but the documentation is less than stellar.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?Below is the code I'm using to connnect to the access database

Dim dbConn As New ADODB.Connection
        Dim dbRst As New ADODB.Recordset
        dbConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=D:\Data\Projects\DBMS\test.mdb"

Norman Yuan, Sep 15, 2003
  3. kb

kb Guest

I've read some things about setting this up, and all the documentation I have found says that I first must change
    defaultType = dbUseODBC
    Then setup a workspace. I've tried to do all of this with no luck. Is it required?

kb, Sep 15, 2003
  4. kb

Norman Yuan Guest

Simply try

On Error Resume Next

dbConn.ConnectionString="....."    'A valid ConnectionString to connect to SQL Server, one of the two from my previous reply.

dbConn.Open

If Err.Number<>0 Then

'If you see this MessageBox pops up, the ConnectionString could be wrong

'If you do not see this, the connection is opened

MsgBox Err.Description   

Exit Sub

End IF

'Open your RecordSet here.

dbRst.Open "MY_Grid", dbConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdTable

If Err.Number<>0 Then

'Something wrong with RecordSet.Open(), maybe, wrong table name?

MsgBox Err.Descritpion

End If

I've tried the above supplied code for connecting to SQL (thanks) but I'm recieveing an error. Below is the error message:

The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context.

I thinks it's to do with the record set variables.

dbRst.Open "MY_Grid", dbConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdTable

Norman Yuan, Sep 16, 2003
  5. kb

kb Guest

Well, I got an error. "Invalid connection string attribute"

This is what I'm using:
    dbConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=gis_parcel;DataSource=SQL2\INST2"

kb, Sep 16, 2003
  6. kb

Norman Yuan Guest

Compose a ConnectionString from nowhere is always a tough thing to do. Even with many years of DB programming, I often get a valid ConnectionString from my previous project.

I also often use data link file (*.udl file) to get me a valid ConnectionString to particular data source. To use data link file to lead you to a valid ConnectionString,

1. Use Notepad to save a blank text file with extension *.udl. For example, you save a blank file as "MyConnection.udl".

2. Double-click "MyConnection.udl", "Data Link Properties" dialog box will be brought up;

3. Make appropriate selections and click "Test Connection" button to verify that your selections are correct. Then close the dialog box.

4. Open "MyConnection.udl" file in Notepad, you can see a valid ConnectionString to particular data source. You can copy this ConnectionString to your project.

Well, I got an error. "Invalid connection string attribute"

This is what I'm using:
    dbConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=gis_parcel;DataSource=SQL2\INST2"

Norman Yuan, Sep 16, 2003
  7. kb

kb Guest

That worked!!! Very simple to change from Access to SQL with that. Thanks.

kb, Sep 16, 2003
Ask a Question