Working with Microstation along side AutoCAD

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by archie999, Apr 8, 2005.

1. archie999

archie999 Guest

HI,

In our office we now have Microstation and AutoCAD (this has come about because we have recently taken over another company).

I am the AutoCAD manager. The Microstation manager is telling me that MS can work in DWG mode and so work perfectly well alongside AutoCAD with users of each working on the same project.

I am not too sure of this - What about XREF's?? MS holds its external reference location in a text file where as Acad embeds its XREF locations in the DWG file. How would this work with drawings created in MS??

Does anyone know a way around this or have experience on running the two systems side by side???

I am thinking that I will have to write some LISP to sort out the XREF issues??

Thanks.

archie999, Apr 8, 2005
  2. archie999

tstright Guest

I used both MS V8 and Autocad 05/06 almost every day and while V8 does work in a Dwg mode it's not "same-same". If a project reqires microstation then draw it in microstation other than that I perfer Autocad.

Conversions are 80% at best (if it's done properly)

Just my .02

tstright, Apr 8, 2005
  3. archie999

archie999 Guest

What do you think are the main problems XREFs? Anything else?

Also, do you use MS and Acad on the same project?

Thanks for your repsonse.

archie999, Apr 8, 2005
  4. archie999

tstright Guest

When you convert from V8 to Acad, sometimes the xref's get lost but the biggest problem is conversion of linetypes and fonts (IMHO).

I am using both on the same project kind of... V8 for contract documents and 06 for Shop Drawings. I do not recommend having both on the same project if at all possible. It's just a pain..

tstright, Apr 8, 2005
  5. archie999

Matt W Guest

"What do you think are the main problems"
    Microstation. :)

Matt W, Apr 8, 2005
Ask a Question