Web file downloads of dwg

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by kschu, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kschu

kschu Guest

I post drawings on our website for clients to download. In the past I have used zip files.

When these files are linked to the zip file and I double click on the published webpage the down load file applet appears prompting me to down load to the harddrive.

When I do this to a dwg file it wants embed itself in a browser and not the down load file applet like I want. I can use the right click "save target as..." to down load to the hard drive but would prefer to just double click > download.

Does anyone know why it does this. Is this an html, browser, or server issue.

Can someone help me or inform me on the best way to post drawings on a website for download.

I am not a tech head. I have a fairly good understanding of Frontpage and html and AutoCAD 2005.

kschu, Nov 12, 2004
  2. kschu

R.K. McSwain Guest

Because your browser doesn't know what to do with .ZIP files.
    Because your browser *does* know what to do with .DWG files. Maybe you
    have the VoloView plug-in installed?
    See above
    Why not use FTP? IE and Mozilla will display files in a directory.
    For example: ftp://ftp.simtel.com/pub/

R.K. McSwain, Nov 12, 2004
  3. kschu

kschu Guest

Thanks. That helped me understand the process. Interesting idea about the ftp. I hadn't thought of that option.

kschu, Nov 12, 2004
  4. kschu

liftedaxis Guest

yeah, we ran into the same problem, but in a CHM help file -- when Volo View is installed, it wants to open up a dwg in a window, instead of prompting to open or download it. I think they were trying to make it like Adobe Acrobat, but at least Acrobat has nice toolbar buttons to easily save the file.
    I started to look into how to disable the IE VoloView plugin, but decided it was easier to just uninstall it.

if you have to stick with html-based links, there's several scripts out there to force download a file. I like the PHP one by Ralf Stadtaus: http://www.stadtaus.com/

--Jeremiah

liftedaxis, Nov 13, 2004
Ask a Question