STB - CTB??

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Jeff Clark, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Jeff Clark

Jeff Clark Guest

I received a drawing from a client, that only needed to be plotted.  The Layouts were set up just fine, but the plot came out in color, and we needed all black (a user sent it to the plotter before I was called in on this).  I wanted to set it up to plot with my color table (we plot by color with CTB files).  In the layout setups of this drawing, it was set to plot with STB files (that we don't have).  No matter what I did, I could not change it to plot with CTB's, or to even see them.  I ended up creating a new drawing, setting up New layouts, and copy & pasting everything from the client's drawing into the new drawing.  This created a drawing identical to the client's, but with My plotting setup, and I got the darn thing plotted and out the door.

So.....for next time I run into this..........How do you change a drawing that is set up for STB plotting to work with CTB Color Tables?????

BTW - While I had the client's drawing open, I checked my Options dialog box and under the Plotting tab, and it was set to "Use Color Dependent Plot Styles" (CTB), not "Use Named Plot Styles" (STB).

Jeff Clark, Jun 26, 2003
  2. Try typing "convertpstyles" (without the quotes) at the command line. This
    will allow you to switch from one style to the other.

Joe Lewinski
    Cordis Corporation

I received a drawing from a client, that only needed to be plotted. The
    Layouts were set up just fine, but the plot came out in color, and we needed
    all black (a user sent it to the plotter before I was called in on this). I
    wanted to set it up to plot with my color table (we plot by color with CTB
    files). In the layout setups of this drawing, it was set to plot with STB
    files (that we don't have). No matter what I did, I could not change it to
    plot with CTB's, or to even see them. I ended up creating a new drawing,
    setting up New layouts, and copy & pasting everything from the client's
    drawing into the new drawing. This created a drawing identical to the
    client's, but with My plotting setup, and I got the darn thing plotted and
    out the door.

So.....for next time I run into this..........How do you change a drawing
    that is set up for STB plotting to work with CTB Color Tables?????

BTW - While I had the client's drawing open, I checked my Options dialog box
    and under the Plotting tab, and it was set to "Use Color Dependent Plot
    Styles" (CTB), not "Use Named Plot Styles" (STB).

Joseph Lewinski, Jun 26, 2003
  3. Jeff Clark

Jeff Clark Guest

Yea, I agree the client should have sent all that was in the DWG.  Some know, most don't.

They REALLY should have known to at least send the stinking special fonts, but they didn't do that either.  Typical.

And it's also typical that the engineer brings this crap to us at 6:00 and "Gotta have it for a meeting tomorrow morning............."

This all went on until around 8:00 last night, for a 8:00 am meeting.  You know how that goes........................

I'll put the command "Convertpstyles" in the "Tips & Tricks" folder for just in case, next time........

Thanks guys.......

-JC

"ffejgreb" <> wrote in message news:...

Make sure that the next time this (or any) client sends you something, that they include the stb-ctb file that THEY use when plotting (the power of eTransmit comes to mind).  There will be no need to convert the drawing and there is no need try and reproduce the drawing correctly.  This is one of the reasons that Autodesk changed the plotting function so drastically in 2000.  Also the settings under "Options" has nothing to do with how a particular drawing plots.  This setting only affects how a drawing is set up when you start a "NEW" drawing.  Hope this helps.

Jeff

"Jeff Clark" <> wrote in message news:...

I received a drawing from a client, that only needed to be plotted.  The Layouts were set up just fine, but the plot came out in color, and we needed all black (a user sent it to the plotter before I was called in on this).  I wanted to set it up to plot with my color table (we plot by color with CTB files).  In the layout setups of this drawing, it was set to plot with STB files (that we don't have).  No matter what I did, I could not change it to plot with CTB's, or to even see them.  I ended up creating a new drawing, setting up New layouts, and copy & pasting everything from the client's drawing into the new drawing.  This created a drawing identical to the client's, but with My plotting setup, and I got the darn thing plotted and out the door.

So.....for next time I run into this..........How do you change a drawing that is set up for STB plotting to work with CTB Color Tables?????

BTW - While I had the client's drawing open, I checked my Options dialog box and under the Plotting tab, and it was set to "Use Color Dependent Plot Styles" (CTB), not "Use Named Plot Styles" (STB).

Jeff Clark, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Jeff Clark

ffejgreb Guest

The benefit is that before the stb file, you had to send them your pc2 file and they had to then extract the pen settings out of the pc2 file and create a whole new pc2 file using their plotter settings to get a print.  An stb-ctb file is plotter independent.  It doesn't care what plotter it will be going to.  All it does is convert colors on screen to a thickness at the plotter.  Also, if your using pack'n'go, this file is included in the packed set.  Couldn't be any easier.

"Topher" <> wrote in message news:...

I was converting our template drawings to use the stb method of plotting. I found out that if I send the drawing to someone else, I have to include the stb file (I use pack'n'go anyways). I thought that one of the benefits of using stb plotting methods was that I wouldn't have to include a colour table file. If I have to include the stb file, what's the benefit?

Chris

ffejgreb, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Jeff Clark

Topher Guest

What I meant was what's the benefit of having your drawing set up as an stb instead of a ctb? When I have drawings sent to me, everything would work fine if they sent me the ctb file. I don't need the pc2 file. If the drawing is set up to use an stb file, they'll still need to send me the stb file.
    I use pack'n'go, but sometimes it seems like I'm the only one.
    If the stb file needs to be sent along with the drawing, I can't see how this is any better than using a ctb file.

Chris

Topher, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Jeff Clark

ffejgreb Guest

A ctb is the same as plotting prior to 2000.  A color on screen is translated to a pen width at the plotter.  If you force an object to some color other than "bylayer" that object will plot out like that color rather than like the object.

An stb file treats ojbects the same way that autocad treats the objects that you create.  When you create a layer, you specify what color, linetype, etc. that layer should have.  You now have the option of also specifying what plot style it should have.  Once the layer has been created and you draw some objects, you can alter their appearance by forcing them to look totally different than how you set the layer up by giving a specific object another color or linetype.  The problem is that you really didn't want that object to look any different at the plotter, just on screen.  With a ctb file you can't do this.

With an stb file, you are telling the plotter to ignore what color is being spit out.  If an object lives on this layer, it should plot out looking like this, regardless of what you have done to it in the editing session.  If you have forced the color to not be "bylayer", the plotter will no longer treat any different, unless you have forced that object to have a different plot style.  Yes you can force a plot style just like you can force a color or linetype.  I have found this to be very beneficial, in certain cases.  Understanding how to set up an stb properly and all of the methods would be far too involved in this forum.  I would recommend taking a plotting class at an ATC or some other qualified school.

I hope this helps,

Jeff

What I meant was what's the benefit of having your drawing set up as an stb instead of a ctb? When I have drawings sent to me, everything would work fine if they sent me the ctb file. I don't need the pc2 file. If the drawing is set up to use an stb file, they'll still need to send me the stb file.
    I use pack'n'go, but sometimes it seems like I'm the only one.
    If the stb file needs to be sent along with the drawing, I can't see how this is any better than using a ctb file.

Chris

ffejgreb, Jun 30, 2003
  7. Jeff Clark

Topher Guest

I can see how being able to set an object to look different from the other objects on the same layer & having it plot the same would have it's benefits, just as being able to set a plot style on a single object. I hadn't realized yet that you could do that.
    I was just hoping that if I set a layer to plot as black, 0.35mm wide, it would stick with the drawing, much as the drawing scale does, instead of being reliant on a separate file. Perhaps this could be a future enhancement.

Chris

Topher, Jun 30, 2003
  8. Jeff Clark

ffejgreb Guest

Well you can set a layer to have specific lineweight values now as well.  You can also set this value by forcing a lineweight upon an object.  These values are carried inside of each drawing.  If you do this, when you then send the file to someone else they should have no need for a ctb/stb file.  You just need to make certain that no ctb/stb file is being used and that the radio button "Plot object lineweight" on the "Plot/Plot Settings" tab is selected.

When you go into your layer controls next time, you will see a new column immediately to the right of the linetype column where you can set this lineweight value.  By default everything is set to "default".  This default value can be controlled in the Lineweight Dialog Box located by typing "lineweight" or "lw" at the command line or selecting "Lineweight..." under the "Format" pulldown.

Also on your Object Properties toolbar there is a new dropdown (again to the right of the linetype one) list that controls lineweight for given objects.  The "LWT" button on the System Status Bar control it's visibilty in an autocad session.  Beware though, when you turn on lineweight in a session it looks like complete *hi* when being viewed in model space.  It really is meant to be used in paper space as a wysiwyg feature.

Again, I hope this gives you what you need.

Jeff

I can see how being able to set an object to look different from the other objects on the same layer & having it plot the same would have it's benefits, just as being able to set a plot style on a single object. I hadn't realized yet that you could do that.
    I was just hoping that if I set a layer to plot as black, 0.35mm wide, it would stick with the drawing, much as the drawing scale does, instead of being reliant on a separate file. Perhaps this could be a future enhancement.

Chris

ffejgreb, Jun 30, 2003
Ask a Question