Sheetmetal bend reliefs - not working

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Mike Singer, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Mike Singer

Mike Singer Guest

I must be doing something wrong...
    Running thru the exercises in the Cadquest Sheetmetal book
    and when I specify a bend relief it doesn't seem to work,

it looks like a bend without a relief.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Mike Singer, Jun 3, 2004
  2. Mike Singer

David Janes Guest

: I must be doing something wrong...
    : Running thru the exercises in the Cadquest Sheetmetal book
    : and when I specify a bend relief it doesn't seem to work,
    :
    : it looks like a bend without a relief.
    :
    Mike, the only time you'll see the corner relief (stretch or rip) is when you
    can't make the bend or wall without it. If you have just one bend on a straight,
    flat piece, there won't be any relief to see, even if the program lets you specify
    a relief. Also, you won't see or need relief if you build walls to the inside of
    the first wall, i.e., your flat wall sketch doesn't cross the thickness of the
    metal, but moves away from the metal. That will place the new wall outside the
    perimeter of the first wall. So, even if you use outside radius and make it stock
    thickness (which makes the inside radius sharp), all the material goes to the
    outside and you've made the width of the box larger by a stock thickness. That
    means that there is no overlapping of material where two walls meet at the corner,
    so no need for corner relief. If you are not sure which way the metal is going,
    use 'Tools>Measure' to see if a dimension grew by at least a stock thickness.

In the following case, you will need corner relief:
    You have a first wall. Let's say it's oriented horizontally and has two vertical
    walls attached to the left and right sides. Then you wish to add a front wall
    between the two end walls and make it so the the outside face of this wall is
    flush with the ends of the side walls. This wall is formed into the metal,
    preserves the front to back dimension of the first wall and needs some kind of
    corner relief so that the metal at the corners gets out of the way of the bend.
    But, you can make a lot of bends and walls without needing corner relief. This is
    something it takes a while to 'get', even with systematic instruction because
    they're not actually teaching you sheetmetal design, just how to do it with Pro/e.

David Janes

David Janes, Jun 3, 2004
  3. Mike Singer

Mike Singer Guest

Mike, the only time you'll see the corner relief (stretch or rip) is when
    you
    Thanks David for your detailed reply.
    This is exactly what the book shows, one flat piece with one bend with
    reliefs
    and it shows the different types of reliefs graphically.
    So I expected to see it because it's in the book.

What if I want a bend relief where it's not physically necessary?
    ....and I want it as part of my design?

Pro E just won't show it and has no way TO show it?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Singer, Jun 3, 2004

4. I don't have proe in front of me, but i think to put a releif in where it s
    not needed, you'll have to offset the sketch from the wall (if extruding),
    or sketch the wall dimsnioned a small differnce from the points (if using
    the wall with radii)
    cheers
    Craig

craig stevens, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Mike Singer

David Janes Guest

: > Mike, the only time you'll see the corner relief (stretch or rip) is when
    : you
    : > can't make the bend or wall without it. If you have just one bend on a
    : straight,
    : > flat piece, there won't be any relief to see, even if the program lets you
    : specify
    : > a relief.
    :
    : Thanks David for your detailed reply.
    : This is exactly what the book shows, one flat piece with one bend with
    : reliefs

I am at a complete loss. I just can't visualize where there would be relief or
    what would be relieved on a flat piece with one bend, unless the piece was
    T-shaped and you were bending the leg of the T into a vertical wall. And then only
    if the bend was inside the border of the cross member so that a top view shows the
    cross member to be the same dimension, top to bottom, across the whole width of
    the top member. In any case, since this is hard to describe adequately and
    pictures/models would help the discussion immensely, maybe you could iges the part
    and post it somewhere or send me a copy. The picture of what it is supposed to
    look like would help too, since I'm not convinced we are even talking about the
    same thing.

: and it shows the different types of reliefs graphically.
    : So I expected to see it because it's in the book.
    :
    : What if I want a bend relief where it's not physically necessary?
    : ...and I want it as part of my design?
    :
    Again, I can't visualize what it would be or what it would look like if didn't
    represent the reality of how metal bends.

David Janes

David Janes, Jun 3, 2004
Ask a Question