Renaming Network Drive

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by petersciganek, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Hello All,

We have a separate drive set aside for "archived" projects - i.e. - projects that no longer need to be on the current project server but that do need to be immediately accessible for reference and occasionally to (re)plot. This leads to problems – particularly drawings with xrefs that have an absolute path and for users who have set their profiles to link CTB/PC3s by project. We are currently working in a manner that will resolve most of these issues in the future – but for now, we have to deal with thousands of archived drawings that will not display and/or plot correctly.

One way to deal with this would be to run a lisp when necessary to search for + repath xrefs (and images) as required when a file is opened (though this won’t solve the CTB/PC3 issue).

Before I do this, though, I thought that I would look into the option of temporarily resetting the archive drive letter to the project drive letter when a user wishes to open an archived file. Assuming that our project drive is “O†and the archive drive is “L†– is it somehow possible to “swap†the drive letters? I have looked into the DOS subst function – but this, as far as I can tell, will only allow a new letter/name for a virtual drive. The FileSystemObject Drive object’s DriveLetter property is read only.

Do I need to disconnect and reconnect both network drives? If so – what would be the best means to do this? Also – any comments on potential pitfalls to this method would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

petersciganek, Mar 2, 2005
  2. petersciganek

Jürg Menzi Guest

Hi Peter

Try this:
    Code:
    (defun MeRemapNetworkDrive (Old New / DrvCol ItmCnt OldUnc RetVal WsnObj)
    (setq WsnObj (vlax-create-object "WScript.Network")
    DrvCol (vlax-invoke WsnObj 'EnumNetworkDrives)
    ItmCnt 0
    )
    (repeat (vlax-invoke DrvCol 'Count)
    (if (eq (strcase Old) (strcase (vla-Item DrvCol ItmCnt)))
    (setq OldUnc (vla-Item DrvCol (1+ ItmCnt)))
    )
    (setq ItmCnt (1+ ItmCnt))
    )
    (cond
    ((vl-catch-all-apply 'vlax-invoke (list WsnObj 'RemoveNetworkDrive Old)))
    ((vl-catch-all-apply 'vlax-invoke (list WsnObj 'MapNetworkDrive New OldUnc)))
    ((setq RetVal T))
    )
    (vlax-release-object WsnObj)
    RetVal
    )

Use:
    (MeRemapNetworkDrive "L:" "O:")

Cheers

Jürg Menzi, Mar 2, 2005
  3. petersciganek

Jürg Menzi Guest

Oops... forgot something:

Add :vlax-true here:
    ....'RemoveNetworkDrive Old :vlax-true :vlax-true)))
    ....'MapNetworkDrive New OldUnc :vlax-true)))
    otherwise changes are not saved in current user profile.

Cheers

Jürg Menzi, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Merci vielmal,

s'hät super g'klappet.

Es grüssli us Münche,

Peter

petersciganek, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Salü Peter

S'freut mi das i ha chönnä hälfä...¦-)

Cheers us Oberegg

Jürg Menzi, Mar 2, 2005
  6. petersciganek

tditullio Guest

You can use the DOS "net" command and make two batch files, one to swap O: and L: and one to swap them back. The user could run the one to swap mapped drive letters before accessing the archived files. I would create two shortcuts to the batch files and place on the users' desktops or some easy to access location.

Use_Archive_Drive.bat
    -------------------------
    rem remove current mappings
    net use O: / delete
    net use L: /delete

rem create mapped drives
    net use O: \\servername\archive_sharename
    net use L: \\servername\currentprojects_sharename

Use_Default_Drive.bat
    -------------------------
    rem remove current mappings
    net use O: / delete
    net use L: /delete

rem create mapped drives
    net use L: \\servername\archive_sharename
    net use O: \\servername\currentprojects_sharename

I am not sure if the syntax is exactly correct. Go to the command prompt and enter net use /? for the syntax help.

tditullio, Mar 5, 2005
  7. Thanks - now that I have the function "inside" AutoCAD (with lisp) maybe it will make sense to have a back up batch / exe setup.

Peter

petersciganek, Mar 7, 2005
Ask a Question