programing by email

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by buttons129, Apr 3, 2004.

1. buttons129

buttons129 Guest

we have customized lisp code but without someone to change as and when needed. i don't want to go to a company as the cost outlays the benefits (minor tweaks). What's the opinion on having the changes made by a external programmer; say by e-mail, and what are the practicalities.

buttons129, Apr 3, 2004
  2. buttons129

bob.at Guest

Why not? (pleas e-mail me)

bob.at
    ()

bob.at, Apr 3, 2004
  3. buttons129

Walt Engle Guest

On the other hand, you want free work done for your company - a company that charges for its services. Since you feel that the work required is minimal, why not ask a programmer to give one cost, say for each month which you can afford.
    If your not working for a company, that is an entirely different matter - but that is not what you appear to suggest.

Walt Engle, Apr 3, 2004
  4. buttons129

liftedaxis Guest

a solution that we've found popular lately is that in addition to programming for hire services, many firms are interested in having one or two draftsmen trained in AutoLISP programming. they come out of the training with a basic knowledge of autolisp, menu customization, and database access. What upkeep they can't perform we still do, but the fees are vastly discounted, as we have a technically savvy contact person. The way I look at it, is that most autocad customization contracts are about 50% administrative costs, and especially if I train the draftsman on our preferred methods of customization, I can pass those savings onto the client.

--Jeremiah

liftedaxis, Apr 3, 2004
  5. I've been writing programs for years for companies all over the U.S.
    With internet access and WebX type access, discussions and demos are easy.
    I rarely have any problems revising my own code.
    Even code that I wrote 10-15 years ago.
    However, when I have to work on someone else's code, that's another story.
    The changes typically require only minutes to perform.
    BUT, it sometimes can take hours to investigate the problem.

I totally agree with "liftedaxis"
    Your company should look into having 1 or 2 employees trained in AutoLISP.
    The advantages are huge.
    There are many times I have to perform a repetitive command that I can write
    a short program that saves hours.
    Plus, as your company grows and changes, so can the programs.

BTW, I would be interested performing the programming if you like.
    Alan Henderson

Alan Henderson, Apr 3, 2004
  6. buttons129

raju Guest

I agree with you.

I am a single Man and I already did some designing and drafting automation in some engg company by use of Lisp,VBA,ARX.if you need my help contact.

Your idea is better.

raju, Apr 4, 2004
  7. buttons129

buttons129 Guest

looks like this has been busy over the weekend. in answer to Walt's comments we are not looking for freebies, its just that we have found on the couple of occasions we have enquired about programming the cost would take to long to pay back. The option of training looks interesting i don't know what's available in the UK though and as we are only a 10 man outfit may also be costly i the long run. confidentiality is also another concern, i still feel our best option would be to find a competent person willing to work over e-mail or phone, in or out of the UK with reasonable costs.

buttons129, Apr 5, 2004
  8. buttons129

bob.at Guest

I think the making of some small sw routins is no problem per e-mail, messanger and phone. Former experiences in the software company I'd worked until march 2002 have been very good whenever the problem is to be described in clear and short words. Difficulties were ariesed by extensiver requests, i.g. a complex data flow for a specal input, where the flow chart covered 3 A1 sheets.
    In the meantime I have my own one-man-company (in austria) making software and sw adjustment for AutoCAD and Database - most of it running with e-mail. If you are interested, e-mail me and we can talk about a good offer.

bob.at
    ()

bob.at, Apr 5, 2004
Ask a Question