Product Manager not finding installed products.

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by mr_nick, Jun 2, 2004.

1. mr_nick

mr_nick Guest

I have been using PM2 for some time now to track software around our company. We have been undergoing a rolling upgrade to ADT2004 and want to keep track of what machines are left running older versions.

There has been a steady decrease in the number of machines that have been reporting back to the point where I am only getting around 20 machines out of a known 120+ with AutoCAD installed. Having read a couple of posts about a similar problem, I had a look for the Winreg key in the registry which is supposed to block remote registry reading. We took delivery of 5 exact same spec machines last week. All running XP Pro with the exact same Service Packs and updates installed. All are running ADT2004 but only 2 of the 5 report back in PM2. Looking at the registry, all have the Winreg key present and all contain the exact same value so why do some report back and some not?

Is there a way to get PM2 working again or should I now just consider it to be defunct?

mr_nick, Jun 2, 2004
  2. Hello,

If it works on some but not others it has to be related to something on
    these systems that is blocking access. What happens if you run the tool on
    that local system? Does it work then? Are they all XP systems that it
    won't read? Also when you get the report at the end of running the tool,
    does it even see these systems?

Thanks for the details.

Bud Schroeder
    AutoCAD Test Development
    Autodesk Inc.

company. We have been undergoing a rolling upgrade to ADT2004 and want to
    keep track of what machines are left running older versions.
    reporting back to the point where I am only getting around 20 machines out
    of a known 120+ with AutoCAD installed. Having read a couple of posts about
    a similar problem, I had a look for the Winreg key in the registry which is
    supposed to block remote registry reading. We took delivery of 5 exact same
    spec machines last week. All running XP Pro with the exact same Service
    Packs and updates installed. All are running ADT2004 but only 2 of the 5
    report back in PM2. Looking at the registry, all have the Winreg key present
    and all contain the exact same value so why do some report back and some
    not?
    to be defunct?

Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.], Jun 2, 2004
  3. mr_nick

mr_nick Guest

The machines are all seen but report back that there are no Autodesk products installed. The machines all have ADT 2004, Express Tools and DWF Viewer 4.1 installed.

If I run the util on one of the machines that reports bach blank, I get the correct details for that machine but the others still report back as having nothing installed.

Not all machines are XP, there are some Win2000 SP4 machines too but again some of these are reporting back correctly. I just used the XP machines as an example because they are known to be built to the exact same spec and level of patching. I could understand if some machines had certain security patches installed that others don't but having checked the machines side by side, they are 100% alike.

mr_nick, Jun 2, 2004
Ask a Question