PLT File Compatibility. PDF Performance

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by vaughan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. vaughan

vaughan Guest

From R2K, W2K, I generate PLT files for sharing and posterity to an old HP350c driver. Why do those I share with consistently have problems plotting my files on their HP650c and HP500, especially with color? Professional printing services never have problems with the same files. I mean, doesn't HPGL stand for Hewlett Packard Graphics Language? Shouldn't a newer HP product be able to understand the language of its own predecessors? I know, I know, plot using their drivers, right. So I am to plot a set of dwgs for each plotter model I expect to share with? Craziness! Does anyone wanting to plot my files have to purchase extra software to interpret HPGL for their HPGL plotter? Is the answer to give up and go to PDF? Have had some success with PDFs, but find them to be much slower to process, larger in size than zipped PLTs, and sometimes fickle when giving results. Much of my work is complex and slow to plot as it is. ANY input and conversation is welcome. PLT or PDF?

vaughan, Jul 22, 2004
  2. vaughan

perriwinkle Guest

Have you tried dwfs?

perriwinkle, Jul 26, 2004
  3. We are working extensively on several DWF solutions for our customers and
    it's a great format but DWF is also a document format. So you have to rely
    on the DWFViewer or something else to translate it for your printer. If
    you are just going directly to a specific plotter than nothing will beat the
    native language of the printer (hpgl or hpgl/2). But when you take into
    account the ability to view and plot (or print) to any printer or plotter
    the setup tweaking with DWF and PDF usually makes up for it.

--
    Rodney McManamy
    President
    CADzation
    -------------------------

-------------------------
    518 South Route 31 Suite 200
    McHenry, IL 60050
    www.cadzation.com
    Providing Industrial Strength
    PDF & DWF Solutions to the
    Global CAD Marketplace.