Plotting Exact Pantone Colors on HP5500ps w/2004

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by rhenley, Aug 5, 2003.

1. rhenley

rhenley Guest

Is there some trick to plotting an exact match to a selected pantone color in 2004 ?

I have a printed swatch book for 'solid uncoated' with colors I'd like to have a close match with on the printed output.

I think I have the systems setup correctly, but it's possible I've missed something.

I created a drawing using 'Named Plot Styles' dwt.

I set the pantone colors for the layer, using a plot style of 'Normal', 'Solid', or 'Color'. With the plotter there is no difference in the colors that are plotted using any of those styles.

Areas were solid hatched, with color 'by layer'.

While the pantone colors show a better match between the screen colors and the swatch book, the printed colors are not close or consitent with the swatch book colors (barring effects of the paper stock). For testing purposes I've been using a better grade of coated paper.

Usually with Photoshop driving other high end output devices, I use a output targeted ICC file to match the color space of the plot device. The HP plotter driver will not use the ICC profiles available on the HP web site. Nor are they documented to be used in this way.

We don't have a problem producing true color Photoshop, and Illustarator output using this plotter, so I'm wondering why I'm having such a difficult time attempting to match the pantone swatches.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

rhenley, Aug 5, 2003
Ask a Question