Only one grip point

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by albaCCT, Feb 18, 2005.

1. albaCCT

albaCCT Guest

I am working in a drg where I click on a line and only one grip point appears. If I scale this line up by say 100 then all three grip points will then appear. Is there some scale factor here for using grips on very short lines.
    I have searched the discussion groups to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

albaCCT, Feb 18, 2005
  2. albaCCT

deke01 Guest

This has happened to me before.
    Just reopen drawing or restart program if that doesn't do it.

deke01, Feb 18, 2005
  3. albaCCT

Randall Culp Guest

How short is the line??

Randall Culp, Feb 18, 2005
  4. albaCCT

madcadd Guest

Hi al,

The line might be very long, only in "Z". If you change your view from top to front, you may see it, but the properties will detail the line for you.

I only say this in the event you are a newbie....otherwise, nevermind!

madcadd, Feb 18, 2005
  5. albaCCT

albaCCT Guest

The line is 75mm long and has a 'z' value of 0. It has only one grip point in a reference file that I'm working on. If I copy and paste this line into another cad file and turn on it's grips they are all there. I figured that maybe there was some sort of setting that I'm not familiar with causing this line to have only one grip in this particular file.

Thanks all.

albaCCT, Feb 19, 2005
  6. albaCCT

madcadd Guest

Hi al,

What did I tell ya'? These guys are quick here. 1.3 TRILLION "units". LOL!!!

Problem solved!

NEXT!

madcadd, Feb 24, 2005
  7. albaCCT

albaCCT Guest

OK I knew the layout was a million miles from 0,0 but didn't realise it would have this effect. Now I know and will be aware in the future. As I said I don't know how the drg was created in the first place and there is no reason it should have been placed so far away from 0,0. I am stuck with this problem as this is a model file and is xrefed to many drawings. If I move the contents it will impact on about 50 drawings.

Thanks all for helping me with this problem.

albaCCT, Feb 24, 2005
  8. albaCCT

madcadd Guest

Hi al,

Note your original post all the way to your last, no mention about this dwg being xref'd into ~50 other dwgs. This makes a giant, as in large, meaning really big difference in the solution here. Now you don't want to move closer to 0,0,0 as it WILL affect ALL those drawings that it is xref'd into. That is to say not before you experiment with the consequencies of that move.

If you KNOW all the dwgs that it is xref'd into, I'd still fix it and enter all of those dwgs and "unload and reload" the xref. But kinda hard if you don't know all the dwgs it is referenced into.

That subject alone would make an excellent new topic post hey???

How do you successfully change the insert point in a dwg that is xref'd into multiple dwgs?

Stay tuned to this channel for more information and updates!

madcadd, Feb 24, 2005
  9. albaCCT

albaCCT Guest

Thanks madcadd,

I did say in my second post that it was a reference file I was working with, I do know all of the drgs that this file is associated with. I now have to justify opening around 50 drgs and reassigning viewports etc. I think I may have to live with it as I don't want to open a "can of worms" The 50 drgs or so are OK and apparently not affected. The problem only occurs in the xref. The "new" subject post would make an interesting topic.

Thanks again for your help

albaCCT, Feb 24, 2005
  10. albaCCT

Randall Culp Guest

You can still move the elements closer to the origin, but you have to
    relocate the INSBASE the same amount as well.

Randall Culp, Feb 25, 2005
  11. albaCCT

albaCCT Guest

Moved all elements then reassigned the "INSBASE" and the problem is now fixed.
    Thanks for your help, saved me a lot of work.

albaCCT, Feb 28, 2005
Ask a Question