MS WORD and AutoCAD

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Natasha Jones, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Hello Terry. We also use Word, AutoCAD, CorelDraw(11, but 10 was better),
    Adobe photoshop, etc, etc.

One way to get your AutoCAD drawing into Word is to plot your AutoCAD
    drawing to the Acrobat distiller to make a pdf file (we use Acrobat 5.0
    writer). Then open the pdf file in Acrobat, going to the 'Graphics select
    tool' and drawing a rectangle around the items you want to view. Then
    Edit-->Copy and close Acrobat. Open Word and paste the clipboard contents
    into your page. The drawing is inserted as an image in Word. Not sure what sort of quality you want, but this method does work ok for us.

Alternatively, you can 'publish' your AutoCAD drawing (if you are using AutoCAD 2004) which will produce a .dwf ('drawing web format' I think it stands for) file. This is the AutoDesk alternative to pdf files. You can view the dwf file using AutoDesk Express Viewer (formerly known as Volo View Express). Open the file in AutoDesk Express Viewer, zoom into the area of the drawing you want to insert into Word and go to 'Copy' (the icon looks like 2 sheets of paper). Then open Word and paste. Your image will be inserted into the document. I believe it is also possible to create a dwf file if you have AutoCAD 2002, not sure about other versions, but it would be worth checking in the help files or on the AutoDesk website. The AutoDesk Express viewer is freeware from AutoDesk. Follow the link below for their tips about dwf and for the free viewer (useful as you can distribute it to your clients)...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3365664

There are other ways, using a combination of CorelDraw, Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc, but they seem rather long-winded. You could of course export your AutoCAD file as a bitmap, but personally I prefer to use one of the first two methods.

Hope some of this helps?!

Natasha :)

"terryfay" <> wrote in message news:...

I need to be able to produce a WORD document showing a selection of AutoCAD drawings. What is the best way of getting AutoCAD drawings into WORD? I also have CorelDraw10, Abobe Photoshop, Paintshop Pro7.
    The original drgs are very large so pulling them directly into WORD is not an option. I have produced a WMF but its missing significant elements. Any suggestions?
    Thanks Terry Fay

Natasha Jones, Jul 11, 2003
Ask a Question