Move everything onto new layer!

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by dhorton, Aug 19, 2004.

1. dhorton

dhorton Guest

Hello,

Basically, I want to move every entitiy within a drawing to a predefined new layer. I can easily create selection sets, but i'm having difficulty moving entities, which reside on various layers, to a new layer..........
    i believe there is a command called layer merge in express tools but searching on previous posts, I have been unable to find much help.

I don't think this is very complicated to do, but have hit a stumbling block, so any guidance would be very much appreciated. BTW using ACAD 2004

dhorton, Aug 19, 2004
  2. dhorton

Tom Smith Guest

Properties will do this. Select everything, then pick the layer. However it's not going to change nested layers within blocks. To automate it, you could use chprop as suggested, but the same limitation will apply.

There's a fixblock routine floating around, to redefine everything within blocks to layer 0 -- you'd need to do that first to eliminate nested layers.

Tom Smith, Aug 19, 2004
  3. dhorton

dhorton Guest

Thanks to all,

You've provided me with enough info to get me on my way. I'm new to the AutoLISP malarky and appreciate your help.

Thanks

Dom

dhorton, Aug 20, 2004
Ask a Question