Licensing Service craps out

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by mvanarsdale, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mvanarsdale

mvanarsdale Guest

Hi this is a follow up post to my original post in the LDDT group so please bear with me.

We are running stand alone versions and it is only occurring on one of the 5 computers running 2005. Does anyone one know of any applications that don't play well with the Licensing Service?

Today one of the workstations had AutoCAD 2005 shutoff instantly, fortunately only about an hour of work was lost. Checking the windows event log, it reported that the Autodesk Licensing Service had stopped. I have set the service to start automatically, and to restart on failure. It is now running again. Has anyone else had similar problems? Our firm just made the jump to 2005 from 2i, relatively painlessly (except the price tag). And thoughts would be appreciated.

The Stats:
    AMD 2600+
    512MB RAM
    Asus motherboard with onboard NIC & video
    Win XP Pro SP2
    LDDT 2005 SP1
    Thank you,

Michael Van Arsdale
    Engineer

EDR, P.C.
    274 North Goodman Street
    Rochester, NY 14607

e-mail:

mvanarsdale, Mar 14, 2005
  2. mvanarsdale

TravisNave Guest

I would certainly ensure you have the autosave option turned on to prevent future data loss. Then I would check to make sure your network is properly configured, from the software settings down to the cat5e cables and switches. If you lose connectivity to the server, your application will close. Alternately, you can borrow the license to prevent a network drop from killing your application.

You should also check for spyware, viruses, and other nasty programs that could be causing unexpected behavior on your machine. Check your event logs again to see if there is anything else that has been installed recently that may affect the services.

TravisNave, Mar 14, 2005
  3. mvanarsdale

mvanarsdale Guest

I did not think that network connectivity would cause problems for the Stand Alone version of autoCAD. The event log did indicate that there was something fishy with the network connection. Does the individual installations use the License service to call back to Autodesk?

Thanks,
    Mike

mvanarsdale, Mar 15, 2005
  4. mvanarsdale

Cy Shuster Guest

No; I think the previous poster didn't realize you had the standalone
    license.

Check for viruses, and possibly some anti-spyware may shut down those
    services. Here are some apps which may conflict:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS84321

Perhaps you just need to add more crap to the licensing service? :)

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, Mar 16, 2005
  5. mvanarsdale

TravisNave Guest

That is true, I didn't realize it was stand-alone until after the fact. I do agree that it is likely other incompatible software that is causing your service to fail. I have seen this with shareware plugins, SoldiWorks add-ins, spyware, malware, viruses (and how!), etc.

Check your event log to see if anything was installed prior to the problems. You might be able to narrow it down.

TravisNave, Mar 16, 2005
Ask a Question