Insert blocks into dwg from dB via LISP.

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by WashCaps37, Aug 2, 2004.

1. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

Hello, I downloaded the attached file from Cadalyst. The routine is developed to retreive the Blk_Name/InsertPointX/InsertPointY/InsertPointZ from either Access or Excel and insert that block into a drawing at the given coordinates.

My problem is that when I run the routine I get the following message at the command line: INSBLK - Error: quit / exit abort. Does someone know what is causing this Error and have suggestions on how to correct it? Your help is very much appreciated.

Also, just in case I am not able to get the attached file(s) working correctly I have been reading up on Dotsoft.com's XL2CAD, AutoCELL and BlockTools 7.0. Is anyone familiar with these products? and know which is best for Inserting blocks based on coordinate information from an Excel file? Also, do any of the above programs look for blocks within AutoCAD's Search Path instead of inserting blocks that are in the current drawing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

WashCaps37, Aug 2, 2004
  2. WashCaps37

Jürg Menzi Guest

Which attachment?

Cheers

Jürg Menzi, Aug 3, 2004
  3. WashCaps37

hendie Guest

hendie, Aug 3, 2004
  4. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

Thanks for responding to my topic. I don't recall ever hearing of Blockwerx. I'll have to check it out. I take it that you have used it with plenty of success with inserting blocks into drawings?

WashCaps37, Aug 3, 2004
  5. The only exit function I saw was if the insblk.dcl file was not found or if
    the 3rd line of the DCL file was changed.
    I could not test the program because I don't have a working example of an
    Access or Excel file.
    I did load and start the program, and I got as far as looking for the Access
    and Excel file.
    Did you get this far?

Alan Henderson
    A'cad Solutions

Alan Henderson @ A'cad Solutions, Aug 3, 2004
  6. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

Alan, No I haven't gotten that far. Did you do anything special in order to get as far as you did?
    After loading the routine, I type IB on the command line and I get the Error: quit/exit abort message. Did you put both the lsp and dcl file in the AutoCAD support folder? I have the lsp and dcl files in a folder that is defined in my AutoCAD Support file search path. Maybe that is why it is not working. I'll put the files directly in my ACAD support folder and see if that works. I'll let you know if that works.

WashCaps37, Aug 3, 2004
  7. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

Alan,

I just put the file in the AutoCAD Support folder and I now get as far as you did. So I guess it was a simple fix. If I run into other problems I'll post them.

Thanks for the responses.

WashCaps37, Aug 3, 2004
  8. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

So I've run into another problem. I get to the dialog box where I choose either Current Drawing or External Drawing and Import File Format. I've tried every combination possible and I receive the following error message on the command line: ib INSBLK - Error: bad argument type: File nil. I should mention that the block name, x-inspt, y-inspt, z-inspt are in an excel XLS file. For the block name in the XLS file, I have tried "blknm" and "blknm.dwg" and I've typed the entire file path location of the file and still receive the above error message. What could I be doing wrong?

WashCaps37, Aug 20, 2004
  9. WashCaps37

WashCaps37 Guest

I've even tried saving the xls file as a csv file and it still pushes out the same error message.

WashCaps37, Aug 20, 2004
Ask a Question