Get Dim Text as 'Rendered' by AutoCAD

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by wtabke, Feb 3, 2005.

1. wtabke

wtabke Guest

Hello,

Is it possible to get the text from a dimension as it would be displayed on the screen by AutoCAD so I can then set the textoverride?

I have tried for the last two days and have not had any success. I can loop thru the dim entities/dim blocks and find the mtext, get the measured value and set the textoverride - no problem

What I am having trouble with are dims that have an existing override '<>.38 TYP', a measured distance of .3788831 and a dimscale that does not display any decimal places.

AutoCAD properly displays '.38 TYP' but I need to put that into the textoverrride instead of '<>.38 TYP'

Thanks,
    Bill

wtabke, Feb 3, 2005
  2. wtabke

wtabke Guest

Hello All,

I do quite a bit of VB programming - not a lot with AutoCAD - so is this just not possible/reasonable - or - is it so simple I should be embarrassed for asking???

I am currently looping thru all entities and if the current entity is a dim, it is passed to a function that builds a text string that is what (I hope) the dim would look like on screen:

DimMeasurement$ = CStr(CurrDim.Measurement)

If CurrDim.SuppressLeadingZeros = True Then
    FormatLeadingZero$ = ""
    Else
    FormatLeadingZero$ = "0"
    End If

Select Case CurrDim.PrimaryUnitsPrecision
    Case acDimPrecisionZero
    FormatDimPrecision$ = ""
    Case acDimPrecisionOne
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "0"
    Case acDimPrecisionTwo
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "00"
    Case acDimPrecisionThree
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "000"
    Case acDimPrecisionFour
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "0000"
    Case acDimPrecisionFive
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "00000"
    Case acDimPrecisionSix
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "000000"
    Case acDimPrecisionSeven
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "0000000"
    Case acDimPrecisionEight
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "00000000"
    Case Else
    FormatDimPrecision$ = "00000000"
    End Select

NewDimText$ = Format(DimMeasurement, FormatLeadingZero$ & DecimalSep$ & FormatDimPrecision$)

I know that Angular Dims will need special handling to format deg/min/sec's - but does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Thanks,
    Bill

wtabke, Feb 7, 2005
Ask a Question