Finding AutoCAD Installations on a network

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by m0rt, Jul 7, 2004.

1. m0rt

m0rt Guest

Hi,

I've been tasked with auditing my companies license situation with regards to Autodesk products. We have a great number of seats running various versions of AutoCAD and other related products. So I thought the best way to find out whats installed is by running a script on the network to find specific files relating to these products:
    Mechanical Desktop R4.0
    Mechanical Desktop R4.0 (with Power Pack)
    Mechanical Desktop R5.0
    AutoCAD R14
    AutoCAD 2000
    AutoCAD 2002
    AutoCAD 2004
    Autodesk View R1.2
    AutoCAD Mechanical 2000 (with Power Pack)

Would anyone be able to provide me with a list of the executable names that these programs use? Or perhaps an alternative way to search and distinguish between them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

m0rt, Jul 7, 2004
  2. m0rt

Cy Shuster Guest

Check out the CAD Manager's Extension that Tracy mentioned in his message to
    you in the other newsgroup. It does just what you're looking for.

--Cy--

to Autodesk products. We have a great number of seats running various
    versions of AutoCAD and other related products. So I thought the best way to
    find out whats installed is by running a script on the network to find
    specific files relating to these products:
    that these programs use? Or perhaps an alternative way to search and
    distinguish between them?

Cy Shuster, Jul 7, 2004
  3. m0rt

dstein Guest

The CAD Manager extension is not 100% reliable since it can only query what it can access at the time you run the search operation. Laptops are the most commonly missed items. A better solution is using a logon script or something like Microsoft SMS to collect the information based on next availability. You may not need that much effort if you have a small network or only have desktops and they're always powered on and accessible across the LAN/WAN.

dstein, Jul 14, 2004
  4. m0rt

dstein Guest

If you don't have something like SMS, UniCenter, Tivoli or Remedy to collect inventory data, and you're interested in using a login script to gather inventory, let me know. I do all the Kix and Vbscript login script development at my company and have script code that may help.

dstein, Jul 16, 2004
Ask a Question