Exporting layout names?

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by David McReynolds, Oct 12, 2004.

1. I have group of drawings in a folder on our server. I am trying to export
    the layout names and the sheet titles of each sheet to excel in order to
    create a drawing index. At this time not all projects have drawings in which
    the sheet names attibuted but many do. Is there a routine (lisp or script)
    out there that will do this?

David McReynolds, Oct 12, 2004
  2. David McReynolds

Jimmy D Guest

Hi David,

I think I can help you out. In the past I've made a program (VB6) that steps through multiple dwg's and retrieves attribute data such as drawing-title; drawing-number;..
    Retrieving the layout-name is also possible. I didn't write this data to Excel but to a txt-file, but this txt-file can easily be opened and sorted in Excel.
    I don't think you can do this with a routine because this only works inside one drawing, not in multiple drawings at once.
    Please give me a few days to sort this out and I'll send you a program that you can test out.

Jimmy D, Oct 14, 2004
  3. Thanks a lot jimmy. do you think i could probably run it as a script with a
    batch tool such as Hurricane?

steps through multiple dwg's and retrieves attribute data such as
    drawing-title; drawing-number;..
    Excel but to a txt-file, but this txt-file can easily be opened and sorted
    in Excel.
    inside one drawing, not in multiple drawings at once.
    that you can test out.

David McReynolds, Oct 15, 2004
  4. David McReynolds

Jimmy D Guest

Hi David,

I'm back again with some news for you.
    During the weekend I've made an effort to write for you this program and on my PC

(Acad 2002 - XP) the program works fine, but I wasn't able to test it much because I didn't have time due to WWK (Work, Wife and Kids). It doesn't write to Excel (yet) but to a txt-file that can easily be imported into Excel (textindicator = none;
    separator = ,).
    I've tried the program on my work with Acad2005 and it doesn't work, also it doesn't find drawings on a network (e.g. on P-disk). So my quest goes one...
    Please let me know how it works with you (I hope you also use Acad2002) and if it works please send me your comments on how I can improve it.
    And please remember I'm just doing this for my own pleasure, so I'm not a pro and I can guarantee you nothing....

How it works:
    Select dwg's in the file window and click the "Add Drawings To List" button.
    You can remove dwg's by selecting them in the "Selected Drawings to Read" field and pressing the "Remove Item from List" button. If list is OK, click "Start Block Search" button.
    A list with available blocks appears. Select all the blocks you want to read, and then select the actual tags you want to read.
    You can then preview a list or you can directly write the list to a file. If you select an already existing file to write to, this program does not overwrite it but appends the list to it!
    Open excel and click "open", change *.xls to *.txt and open the file, seperator = "," ; textindicator = "none".
    The " in the first field and the " in the last field is something you should learn to live with (sorry about that, but this is a draft-version).

Jimmy D, Oct 18, 2004
Ask a Question