Draw screws automatically and parametrically?

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by sbrusco, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sbrusco

sbrusco Guest

Hi All,

I would like to develop VBA code that will draw side or plan views of screws that my company stocks. I developed a dialog box interface and have some ideas but would like to get a jump on actually writing the code. (Yeah, sounds funny... I want to develop... does anyone have?)

Really, i'm looking for ideas. I would like to generate the views parametrically so i don't have to store all the different blocks.

Sorry if i'm asking too much, but if anyone would like to share, i would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
    Sal

sbrusco, Jan 19, 2005
  2. sbrusco

DRW1975 Guest

I have done partial coding something like what your saying for structural bolts. I've defined them as you may say parametrically, and not by fixed values. I had to develop these relationships myself, as there are no real documented relationships (i.e. bolt diameter versus thread pitch or versus head width.). I determined these relationships by plotting the various known dimensions and determining doing best fit whether it be linear or exponential or whatever. I then use these relationships to determine the unknown quantities. i.e. by specifying any bolt diameter and say required clamping thickness, the head width & depth are calculated, the overall bolt length is calculated, the nut width and depth is calculated, the thread length and pitch is calculated. I then take these calculated values and build whatever i need to build in AutoCAD at a user specified location, and in whatever view required (plan, profile, iso/3D).

Perhaps that will provide some inspiration?

DRW

DRW1975, Jan 21, 2005
Ask a Question