detailing symmetrical parts

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Sean Kerslake, Jun 29, 2004.

1. A couple of questions on detailing symmetrical parts or parts with
    symmetrical elements.

What is the prefered method for showing that two similiar elements are
    equally spaced across a centreline - I remember back in college we were
    taught to have a dimn between the two elements then two dimns from the
    centreline to each element with an equality sign - is this still acceptable?

Or should I ignore the major dimn between the elements and just create two
    dimns each side of the centreline - these would then need individual
    tolerences half that of the general tolerence.

Wildfire 2

Also, if I have created a half view [of a completely symmetrical part], how
    do I create a dimn between two elements each side of the symmetry line
    [obviously I cant see the other element to pick it] - say two holes? Or, as
    above should everything be dimensioned to the symmetryline? If this is so,
    what do I hook onto at the symmetryline as everything on the symmetryline -
    axis, reference plane - is not displayed - have I missed something.

Cheers, Sean

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sean Kerslake
    Dept. Design & Technology
    Loughborough University
    Loughborough
    LE11 3TU

01509 228317

Sean Kerslake, Jun 29, 2004
  2. Sean Kerslake

David Janes Guest

:
    : A couple of questions on detailing symmetrical parts or parts with
    : symmetrical elements.
    :
    : What is the prefered method for showing that two similiar elements are
    : equally spaced across a centreline - I remember back in college we were
    : taught to have a dimn between the two elements then two dimns from the
    : centreline to each element with an equality sign - is this still acceptable?
    :
    The preferred method is to adhere to a widely accepted standard ~ ISO, ANSI, DIN,
    one of those. Get it off the shelf, dust it off and take a look at it. Raise the
    kids right, maybe they'll follow it later, when they get out in the real world.

The standard I'm familiar with is ANSI. It's minimalist: minimum number of
    views/dimensions to completely and unambiguously describe a part so that it can be
    made and made in only one way. Another aspect of its minimalism is assumptions: if
    the line looks straight, vertical, horizontal, parallel, perpendicular, tangent,
    then it is. A dimension is need only to clarify when the apparent is NOT the case,
    as in, when a line looks parallel to another but needs an angular dimension to
    clarify that it is not parallel; or when a line looks perpendicular but needs a
    dimension to clarify that is drafted (and natually, the amount of the deviation
    from perpendicularity).

You will have noticed in Pro/e's sketcher that you can see all these symbols ~ for
    perpendicularity, parallel, tangency, coincidence, etc. But, when you show
    dimensions in detailing, none of these symbols and characteristics of the geometry
    show. The same is true for symmetry: draw a center line on each of the datums,
    create a rectangle, dragging it from the upper left to the lower right quadrants
    and you automatically get symmetry and notion of such on the sketch. Add a circle
    in the upper left quadrant, near the corner, mirror it to the right side (more
    symmetry notation) and mirror these to the bottom (symmetry notation again, now in
    both directions). Two dimensions control the rectangle size, two control the
    circle placement. Then extrude a solid feature a certain thickness, five dimenions
    in all. Make a print of this with two views (Top, Front), show all the dimensions
    and those same five dimensions show on the print. Can you make this part correctly
    with those dimensions? You most certainly can and it follows the ANSI rules. There
    are no centerlines showing, no overt dimensions from an edge to a centerline and
    from centerline to hole. Yet, all the assumptions normally made about ANSI
    dimensioned drawings tells you that there is no other way to make that part.
    Furthermore, Pro/e sketcher assumptions are perfectly compatible with ANSI
    detailing assumptions. It also tells you that the only reason to add centerlines
    and to dimension from centerlines to a hole is if the symmetrical-looking pattern
    is NOT symmetrical, in fact. GD&T is a similar kind of amending or clarification
    of assumptions, in as much as the assumptions require the absolute, the ideal
    condition. GD&T says how much deviation from perfectly square, perfectly round,
    perfectly flat, etc. is allowed.

The last point is what is the most appropriate use of symmetry. I'm not sure if
    this is covered by the standards, but I've seen it most often used in two
    circumstances: in castings where the dimensioning of a pattern of features,
    irrespective of its location, is a critical characteristic of the part and, where
    there is no ready, machined surface from which to make or measure the pattern
    location to the same degree of precision as the pattern's internal spacing; the
    other is in just the opposite type of fitted block where outside boundaries are as
    much a critical characteristic. The centrality of the features was preserved by
    removing equal amounts of opposite fitted sides.

David Janes

David Janes, Jun 30, 2004
  3. Sean Kerslake

Alex Sh. Guest

Yes, it will. It will show the sketcher reference dimension exactly as it
    was created in the sketcher, with a 'REF' postfix. If you prefer to have a
    refernece dimension in brackets, you'll have to modify it.

Alex Sh., Jul 5, 2004
  4. Sean Kerslake

David Janes Guest

: ...
    : > That being said, the users of the drawings (especially tooling and
    : > fixtures) may like to see the overall dim and the dims between the
    : > elements, even if they are shown as reference. This would reinforce the
    : > idea that the feature is symmetric.
    : >
    : > I don't remember if Pro-E will show sketcher reference dims on drawings
    : > (I don't think so).
    :
    : Yes, it will. It will show the sketcher reference dimension exactly as it
    : was created in the sketcher, with a 'REF' postfix. If you prefer to have a
    : refernece dimension in brackets, you'll have to modify it.
    :
    Or change the config option, parenthesize_ref_dim, to YES. The dimension will show
    this way in sketches and drawings.

David Janes

David Janes, Jul 5, 2004
Ask a Question