Custom Linetype Definition Limitations

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by kzalec, Jan 13, 2005.

1. kzalec

kzalec Guest

I would like to create a custom linetype in AutoCAD 2004 which consists of more than 12 dash/space/dot definitions in addition to the complex linetype "text" feature. Does anyone know a way to get around this limitation? I prefer AutoCAD to Microstation in many respects, but the custom linetype capabilities of Microstation are SO much better than AutoCAD's in many ways. The linetype appearance I'm trying to achieve in AutoCAD is for use in utilities drawings. For example, one "Oil & Gas" line should look like:
    ____ - - ____ - - ____ OG ____ - - ____ - - ____ (Pretend this pattern is aligned. I'm not able to type it here in a straight line...) The code I'd LIKE to use is:

*OG, OIL & Gas Line
    A,.644,-.125,.125,-.125,.125,-.125,.644,-.125,.125,-.125,.125,-.125,.644,-.2,["OG",Utils,S=0.125,X=-.13,Y=-.0625],-.2

However, this consists of 15 dash-space definitions which exceeds the allowable limit ofd 12. Unfortunately, I can't get the desired appearance by shortening the code. Shortening the code results in the "text" (OG) part of the linetype being spaced too closely together. I would like more repetitions of the pattern between the "OG" part of the linetype than AutoCAD allows. I've always been so frustrated by the primitive AutoCAD linetype capabilities, and hope that the definitions can someday be expanded. In the meantime, does anyone know any workaround to allow more dash-space definitions in between the "text" part? I'm aware of the MKLTYPE command, but that adheres to the same limitations in creating AutoCAD complex linetypes.

kzalec, Jan 13, 2005
  2. Hi,

There is a "Line with Text" command in Land Desktop which would allow you to
    do this.

Upsides:
    The general principle of the command is that you set the line type to be
    whatever you require and then use the command and set the text to be used,
    the gap for te text and the length of line segments. ie you can get exactly
    what you want.
    The text is always drawn readable from the bottom of the drawng.

Downsides:
    It draws individual line and text items.

You could program something like this yourself.

--

Regards,

Laurie Comerford
    www.cadapps.com.au

Laurie Comerford, Jan 13, 2005
  3. Check out the thread starting with "I need alittle help creating a linetype
    please" posted by "cadguru" on Sept. 28 '04, particularly the trick in my
    first response to it. It could get you where you want to go. But also, be
    aware of the drawbacks described in the conversation further down the
    thread.

Kent Cooper, AIA, Jan 13, 2005
  4. kzalec

kzalec Guest

Thanks for this idea. We do have a license for Land Desktop. However, having individual lines and text for custom linetypes is unacceptable to both me and my client.

kzalec, Jan 27, 2005
Ask a Question