copy (multiple) changing base point

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by shua, Jun 30, 2003.

1. shua

shua Guest

is there an option to have the copy (multiple) comand change the base point to the last displacement entry rather than having the same base point for all the entries? that way if i'm copying in just the x-direction and i know the spacing between each point, i don't have to do the math in my head. i know this option exists, i've used it before. how do i turn it on?

can anyone help? i'd appreciate it.

shua, Jun 30, 2003
  2. Are you perhaps thinking of the ARRAY command in which you would copy or offset an item a certain distance over a number of intervals?

"shua" <> wrote in message news:...

is there an option to have the copy (multiple) comand change the base point to the last displacement entry rather than having the same base point for all the entries? that way if i'm copying in just the x-direction and i know the spacing between each point, i don't have to do the math in my head. i know this option exists, i've used it before. how do i turn it on?

Matthew Baker, Jun 30, 2003
  3. shua

shua Guest

no, i'm familiar with array. i'm talking about a non-constant increment distance that you can type in each time during a multiple copy command. i'm trying to copy 42" windows that have different spacings apart. unless it's an autocad glitch, i was able to copy them in one command using multiple, and i was able to enter in distances with a base point reset at the last point i entered for every entry. now when i copy using multiple, it uses the one original base point i enter. which means i'd have to do the math in my head. i'm thinking more and more that it was some weird glitch.

shua, Jun 30, 2003
  4. shua

David Hanna Guest

You can change basepoints during the command. just snap to the new basepoint and type in the distance.

For instance draw a line copy, multiple, 42" enter, snap to the end of the second line, 42 enter.

you should have 3 lines 42" apart

David Hanna, Jun 30, 2003
  5. shua

shua Guest

what your saying david isn't changing the basepoint. the second line created would be just another entry of 42" from the original base point. i think i've figured it out though. my computer IS actually glitching. reason being that now all of the sudden this "option" changed back automatically. i didn't make any changes. autocad is just kinda funny like that. thanks anyways everybody.

shua, Jun 30, 2003
  6. shua

David Hanna Guest

What did it do? With my method the basepoint wont change automatically. I was just pointing out that you can change the basepoint in the middle of the command by snaping to a new point such as the end of the second line. That won't work for you?

what your saying david isn't changing the basepoint. the second line created would be just another entry of 42" from the original base point. i think i've figured it out though. my computer IS actually glitching. reason being that now all of the sudden this "option" changed back automatically. i didn't make any changes. autocad is just kinda funny like that. thanks anyways everybody.

David Hanna, Jun 30, 2003
  7. shua

ffejgreb Guest

You can change the base point if you use grips/copy option.  Grips/copy by default is a multiple copy.  The problem with what you are asking though is that the original objects to be copied are always located in the same place.  It sounds to me like what you are asking to have happen is that once the first new set of objects is created that this new set become the set to be copied.  It just doesn't work that way without exiting the command and creating a new selection set.

Also, changing the base point that is used to locate the next set of copies will not mean less math.  You would actually create more math.  You would then have to add the distance away from the original objects the next set needs to reside with the distance the new base point is from the original objects.  The copy command by it's design allows for a non-constant increment however (as I am sure you are aware).  That is where the math comes in.  I don't believe that I have ever seen an option for the copy command that allowed it to function the way you are describing.

If I am wrong though, please let me know how this is done if you discover it again.  I would be very interested in learning how to do that.

Jeff

no, i'm familiar with array. i'm talking about a non-constant increment distance that you can type in each time during a multiple copy command. i'm trying to copy 42" windows that have different spacings apart. unless it's an autocad glitch, i was able to copy them in one command using multiple, and i was able to enter in distances with a base point reset at the last point i entered for every entry. now when i copy using multiple, it uses the one original base point i enter. which means i'd have to do the math in my head. i'm thinking more and more that it was some weird glitch.

ffejgreb, Jun 30, 2003
  8. shua

David Hanna Guest

When I changed the basepoint during the command I didn't have to do any extra math. I was able to copy over from the new basepoint, and I didn't have to add anything.

Maybe I am missing something. What I thought shua wanted was to be able to enter a distance from the last object that she had copied. Like if I was redrawing a plan and had an exterior wall with the same windows and I knew the distance from the centers. I could copy/multiple the first window and use the center of the window for the basepoint and enter 8' (with ortho on) then I click on the center of the second window and that changes the basepoint to the center of the second window. then I would enter 15'. The result would be the distance between the midpoint of the  first window and the mid point of the second window would be 8' and the distance between the mid point of the second window and mid point of the third would be 15' 

"ffejgreb" <> wrote in message news:...

You can change the base point if you use grips/copy option.  Grips/copy by default is a multiple copy.  The problem with what you are asking though is that the original objects to be copied are always located in the same place.  It sounds to me like what you are asking to have happen is that once the first new set of objects is created that this new set become the set to be copied.  It just doesn't work that way without exiting the command and creating a new selection set.

Also, changing the base point that is used to locate the next set of copies will not mean less math.  You would actually create more math.  You would then have to add the distance away from the original objects the next set needs to reside with the distance the new base point is from the original objects.  The copy command by it's design allows for a non-constant increment however (as I am sure you are aware).  That is where the math comes in.  I don't believe that I have ever seen an option for the copy command that allowed it to function the way you are describing.

If I am wrong though, please let me know how this is done if you discover it again.  I would be very interested in learning how to do that.

Jeff

David Hanna, Jul 1, 2003
  9. shua

David Kozina Guest

I believe you may find these small routines useful (in particular, the
    second function)...
    Note the command sequence on the second function.
    This has never been documented, afaik, but found serendipitously.

hth,
    David Kozina

;; C:CM - Multiple Copy: CM
    ;; No Formal Arguments required.
    ;; No Local Variables used.
    ;; No *Global* Variables used.
    ;; No Externally Defined Functions called.
    ;; Prompt displays: Messages of AutoCAD "COPY" Command.
    ;; Abbreviates the AutoCAD "COPY Multiple" Command Process.
    (defun C:CM ()
    (ssget)
    (command "_.COPY" "_Previous" "" "_Multiple")
    (princ))

;; C:CMF - Copy Multiple From... Function: CM
    ;; No Formal Arguments required.
    ;; No Local Variables used.
    ;; No *Global* Variables used.
    ;; No Externally Defined Functions called.
    ;; Prompt displays: Messages of AutoCAD "COPY" Command.
    ;; Abbreviates the AutoCAD "COPY Multiple" Command Process.
    (defun C:CMF ()
    (ssget)
    (command "_.COPY" "_Previous" "" "_Multiple" PAUSE "_From" "@"))

is there an option to have the copy (multiple) comand change the base point
    to the last displacement entry rather than having the same base point for
    all the entries? that way if i'm copying in just the x-direction and i know
    the spacing between each point, i don't have to do the math in my head. i
    know this option exists, i've used it before. how do i turn it on?

David Kozina, Jul 1, 2003
  10. shua

ffejgreb Guest

As you said, I may be wrong as well.  But I just performed the function you are speaking of and it didn't work.  Here's what I did:  (I am using the grip method because, as far as I know, the COPY command does not allow you to redefine a base point once you start copying)

Draw a circle.  Highlight the circle.  Make its center point hot.  Drag your mouse in any ortho direction.  Enter 1.  Right click and choose "Base Point".  Select the "Center" of the second circle.  Drag your mouse in the same ortho direction as before.  Enter 3.  End command.

By what you are saying, the distance between the first circle and the second circle would be 1.  The distance between the second and third circle would be 3.  I get a value of 2.  The reason is that original object being copied is still 1 unit farther away from the second object.  For me to a value of 3 between the second and third circles I would have to add the distance between circles 1 & 2 (1) and the distance I want between circles 2 & 3 (3) to get and value of 4.

If you can do what you are saying, please give me a detailed explanation because I would love to know how it is done.

"David Hanna" <> wrote in message news:D...

When I changed the basepoint during the command I didn't have to do any extra math. I was able to copy over from the new basepoint, and I didn't have to add anything.

Maybe I am missing something. What I thought shua wanted was to be able to enter a distance from the last object that she had copied. Like if I was redrawing a plan and had an exterior wall with the same windows and I knew the distance from the centers. I could copy/multiple the first window and use the center of the window for the basepoint and enter 8' (with ortho on) then I click on the center of the second window and that changes the basepoint to the center of the second window. then I would enter 15'. The result would be the distance between the midpoint of the  first window and the mid point of the second window would be 8' and the distance between the mid point of the second window and mid point of the third would be 15' 

Jeff

ffejgreb, Jul 1, 2003
  11. shua

David Hanna Guest

I figured out what I did.

I used the Snapfrom snap and then selected the mid point. I guess that was an important step.

Try this

Draw a circle Copy, enter, M, enter snap to center, drag mouse in any direction enter 1, then from the snap toolbar select snapfrom and chose the center of the second circle(this is where the basepoint changes) and then 3 enter.

Draw a circle.  Highlight the circle.  Make its center point hot.  Drag your mouse in any ortho direction.  Enter 1.  Right click and choose "Base Point".  Select the "Center" of the second circle.  Drag your mouse in the same ortho direction as before.  Enter 3.  End command.

By what you are saying, the distance between the first circle and the second circle would be 1.  The distance between the second and third circle would be 3.  I get a value of 2.  The reason is that original object being copied is still 1 unit farther away from the second object.  For me to a value of 3 between the second and third circles I would have to add the distance between circles 1 & 2 (1) and the distance I want between circles 2 & 3 (3) to get and value of 4.

If you can do what you are saying, please give me a detailed explanation because I would love to know how it is done.

Jeff

David Hanna, Jul 1, 2003
  12. shua

ffejgreb Guest

You are correct sir.  I forgot about the snap from option.  I just love these NG's.  Thanks again for helping me see the errors of my way.  I wonder what I'll have to forget so that I can start using this?

Jeff

I figured out what I did.

I used the Snapfrom snap and then selected the mid point. I guess that was an important step.

Try this

Draw a circle Copy, enter, M, enter snap to center, drag mouse in any direction enter 1, then from the snap toolbar select snapfrom and chose the center of the second circle(this is where the basepoint changes) and then 3 enter.

Jeff

ffejgreb, Jul 1, 2003
Ask a Question