Closne Autocad w/ network license

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Allen Jessup, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup Guest

I know that when cloning a stand alone installation you have to prevent some
    files from being cloned. Then you have to register AutoCAD on the new
    workstation.

Do I have to take similar steps if I plan to lone a workstation with a
    network installation?

Thanks

Allen Jessup, Mar 14, 2005
  2. Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup Guest

Well. At least I spelled Clone correctly once. Not too bad for a Monday
    morning.

3. Allen Jessup

Sam Hochberg Guest

You're ghosting a machine that's already been set up from a network install?
    Then no, the cloned machines should still be looking towards that same
    server for licensing.
    It's been a while since I've done that, but I do believe they worked just
    fine.

Sam Hochberg, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Allen Jessup

TravisNave Guest

That is correct. I have used Norton Ghost to clone 17 machines with Autodesk Network Licensed products installed. All work fine on each cloned machine, since the .lic file is only pointing to the server for license checkout.

I found that even cloning Vault works, assuming you Sysprep Windows before using Ghost. Good luck!

TravisNave, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup Guest

Thanks Sam & Travis for confirming this. We're using ghost to clone a fairly
    simple image. Just MS Office & Land Desktop.

Thanks again
    Allen

6. Allen Jessup

D.P. MIS Guest

Hey, did you guys ever notice any weird activity after ghosting machines? I have a lab of 25 PC's using the net license. We mostly use Inventor. I have all the updates installed for windows and Autodesk. The problem I am having inconsistently is that inventor just exits without any errors when trying to save work or by clicking on certain buttons, especially the visual syllabus button.

I am trying to rule out that it is the ghosting That is causing this problem. The next step I am going to do is take the current problem PC's and reinstall inventor on them. I'll leave those PC's out of ghost. The other PC's I am going to update the graphics driver (NVIDIA), and reghost those machines to see if the problem shows up again on any of those.

Also is there a portable license utility for AutoCAD like there is for Inventor? Do you guys notice that it says "broken" if you do have it. I'm wondering if this is irrelevant since each copy points to the licensing server.

But anyway, if you guys have other pointers to offer, I would appreciate all of your help in resolving this annoying problem. Thanks. I know Autodesk claims they don't support ghosting, but in a school environment when kids are hammering these machines, manually reloading them IS NOT an option. I have to find a solution to make this work. GhostCasting is a Gift!

D.P. MIS, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Allen Jessup

TravisNave Guest

Nope, I have not had any problems with Ghosting a machine with Inventor. Perhaps your original installation was flawed somehow and was replicated onto your disk image.

I find that Ghost works even better if you use SysPrep with a mini-Setup so you can make each Ghosted machine have its unique system ID, etc.

Good luck!

TravisNave, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Allen Jessup

D.P. MIS Guest

yeah, we use sysprep. It helps a lot without having to have separate images.

I think I solved the problem we were having. We have Nvidia cards and were using a driver that was within a range that Autodesk identified having majors problem with Inventor 10. Since I run Inventor 8 I figured I might be ok. But wanyway, since updating to the latest graphics driver last week, it seems like the problems are gone. I will post again if the problems recurr. Thanks for the Post Travis.

D.P. MIS, Apr 4, 2005
Ask a Question