Change Space Between TEXT Lines...

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by calpolyarc, Aug 10, 2004.

1. calpolyarc

calpolyarc Guest

I use the TEXT command to place text, and when I hit <enter> I get a new line of text 6-5/8" below the first line. Is there a way I can change this default value??

calpolyarc, Aug 10, 2004
  2. You'll need to change the linefeed character (10) definition in the .shp file and recompile back to
    the .shx file.
    Express tools has a shx2shp.exe program (dos) that decompiles .shx files to .shp if you need to do
    that.

Allen Johnson, Aug 10, 2004
  3. Oops, Express Tools calls it DUMPSHX.EXE

4. calpolyarc

David Kozina Guest

Uh, PMFJI, but I seem to be missing something (obvious?) here...

Is there a reason you're not using mtext?... You can control the mtext line
    spacing 'exactly' now, you know. Even supports tabbing in 2004 or higher.

Curious,
    David Kozina

line of text 6-5/8" below the first line. Is there a way I can change this
    default value??

David Kozina, Aug 10, 2004
  5. calpolyarc

OLD-CADaver Guest

Careful, I get hollered at when I do that. ;-)

OLD-CADaver, Aug 10, 2004
  6. calpolyarc

calpolyarc Guest

LOL, I won't holler at you... to be honest, I never really got into the MTEXT command. I've been using it today, trying to form an opinion, before I reply to your comment. One thing off the bat that I don't like is that I am forced to use my mouse to hit 'OK' when I'm done typing.

calpolyarc, Aug 10, 2004
  7. You can control the mtext line spacing 'exactly' now, you know.

You can try, but it doesn't always work. See the response I got back from AutoDesk:

As per what I have communicated to you few days back, I could reproduce the discrepancies you
    pointed out. I am logging the 2nd and the 3rd issues which you have mentioned, with our development
    team for further investigation.

For your first query, the value of TSPACETYPE does not change with the files.
    You will be able to have the changed value of the variable applicable to the other files too.
    However, if other files (having the different TSPACETYPE value than the last changed one) are still
    open, they will be temporarily showing the older value contained in the file. Once they are closed
    and reopened, the last changed TSPACETYPE value will be applied even to those files.

Regarding the 2nd query, that whenever the multiline text is copied from some text editor and pasted
    in AutoCAD (keeping TSPACETYPE value as 2), the copied MTEXT behaves as having default value of 1.
    TSPACETYPE behaves in the similar way when the TEXT is converted to MTEXT, as per your 3rd query.

8. calpolyarc

OLD-CADaver Guest

I usually use -mtext (note the dash), then just hit enter twice when I'm done. MY PGP has MT = -mtext.

But even using the internal editor, picking the OK once is preferred over hitting enter at the end of every line and having a paragraph that doesn't word wrap.

Well if you're not gonna holler, I have to ask... What difference does the line spacing make? 6.625" or 7" or whatever?

OLD-CADaver, Aug 10, 2004
  9. calpolyarc

calpolyarc Guest

It's not a huge deal, just me being picky, the lines are too far apart IMHO. I will try your -mtext command, and maybe by the end of the week I'll be used to using mtext...

calpolyarc, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Try changing the line spacing to "Exactly" Also set TSPACETYPE to 2 - Exactly, although it doesn't
    work for cut and paste text or using the ET TXT2MTXT command. (See my other post.)

Allen Johnson, Aug 11, 2004
Ask a Question